Darwin College intends to appoint a number of College Research Associates from 1 September 2018. These positions are tenable for one year with an annual possibility of renewal for a further year to a maximum term of three years.
The scheme aims to provide researchers with a substantial association with the College but such association will not include membership of the Governing Body.
Candidates must be of postdoctoral standing, and may be graduates of any university. They will normally hold a funded position requiring them to conduct research in the University of Cambridge or in a directly associated research institution and the appointment will be co-terminous with that position.
Successful candidates will normally be within six years of having completed the requirements for the PhD (or equivalent) degree and will be selected with reference to their ability and willingness to contribute to the intellectual, educational, sporting and social life of the College. Involvement in the academic life of the College could be, for example, through participation in the lunchtime seminar series and assistance with the annual Darwin College Lecture Series.
Postdoctoral Research Associates will:
• be entitled to meals at Guest rates
• have use of sporting/social facilities
• be entitled to membership of the Darwin College Students Association
• after completion of a period of one year become members of the Darwin College Society
• A curriculum vitae
• A 500 word statement of current and future research plans
• A short statement providing the reasons for desiring a College membership and the ways in which the applicant will contribute to College life, alongside their research
• Note that 2 references will also be required by 29 June 2018
Referees should be senior members of the University of Cambridge or other academic institutions.
Appointments to these positions will be subject to a selection committee and may include an interview.
The College reserves the right not to make an appointment